California Christian College
California Christian College was born from the vision of forty-eight Free Will Baptist Churches in 1955. Churches in the western U.S. found trained pastors to be in short supply. CCC was established to fulfill this need. The first classes of the college were held in the First Free Will Baptist church of Richmond, CA. After the first semester, Sherwood Forest Free Will Baptist Church of El Sobrante also shared in hosting classes. During its early years, the school was known as California Bible Institute (CBI).
IN 1965, CBI relocated to the First Free Will Baptist Church of Fresno to be more centrally located for its constituents. That same year, approximately five acres on University & Winery avenues was purchased and a new campus was set up. During the 1966-67 school year, the name was changed to California Christian College and a four-year Bachelor of Arts program was initiated. Since its founding the college has operated continuously except for 1985-86, when the governing board re-evaluated the college’s needs and mission. Classes resumed in the Fall of 1986. In 1998, CCC was granted accreditation by Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (TRACS) demonstrating the quality educational standards adhered to by the institution, plus it permits qualifying students to receive government grants and loans. After serving 50 years at its University location, the Board of Trustees voted in October 2014 to temporarily locate the college at Harmony Church on Belmont Avenue while plans for the construction of new facilities are being developed. Today the college reflects the ethnic and denominational diversity of the Evangelical community at large especially the Evangelical community in the central San Joaquin Valley.